Katherine Fowler was born on New Year's day, 1631 in London, England. Her father, John Fowler, was a Presbyterian merchant. Katherine was educated at one of the Hackney boarding-schools, where she became fluent in several languages. After the death of John Fowler, Katherine's mother married a Welshman, Hector Philips, and, in 1647, at the age of sixteen, Katherine was married to fifty-four-year old James Philips, Hector's son by his first wife.
In spite of the difference in their ages, there appears to have been little conflict between Katherine and James. What division there was, was political in nature: she was a Royalist; he supported Oliver Cromwell. This difference... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
- The World
- Against Love
- Friendship's Mystery, To my Dearest Luca...
- Orinda To Lucasia Parting October 1661 A...
- A Retir'd Friendship
- To My Excellent Lucasia, On Our Friendsh...
- Content, To My Dearest Lucasia
- Epitaph on her Son H. P.
- La Solitude de St. Amant /La Solitude A ...
- 6th April 1651 L'Amitie: To Mrs. M. Awbr...
- Orinda upon Little Hector Philips
- L'Amitie: To Mrs. M. Awbrey.
- To One Persuading A Lady To Marriage
- To Mr. Vaughan, Silurist on His Poems
Comments about Katherine Philips
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)