Kay Ryan Poems
- Nothing Ventured Nothing exists as a block and cannot be ...
- Token Loss To the dragon any loss is total.
- The Edges Of Time It is at the edges that time thins.
- The Niagara River As though the river were
- Patience Patience is wider than one once envisioned,
- All Your Horses Say when rain cannot make you more wet
- Home To Roost The chickens are circling and blotting out ...
an American poet and educator. She has published seven volumes of poetry and an anthology of selected and new poems. Ryan was the sixteenth United States Poet Laureate, from 2008 to 2010.
Ryan was born in San Jose, California, and was raised in several areas of the San Joaquin Valley and the Mojave Desert. After attending Antelope Valley College, she received bachelor's and master's degrees in English from University of California, Los Angeles. Since 1971, she has lived in Marin County, California, and has taught English part-time at the College of Marin in Kentfield. Carol Adair, who was also an instructor at the College of Marin, was Ryan's partner from 1978... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
Comments about Kay Ryan
Nothing exists as a block
and cannot be parceled up.
So if nothing's ventured
it's not just talk;
it's the big wager.
Don't you wonder
how people think
the banks of space
and time don't matter?
How they'll drain
the big tanks down to
slime and salamanders
and want thanks?