Lew Welch Poems
- I Saw Myself I saw myself a ring of bone in the clear ...
- Not Yet 40, My Beard Is Alread... Not yet 40, my beard ...
- The Image, As In A Hexagram: The image, as in a ...
- Dear Joanne Dear Joanne, Last night Magda dreamed that ...
- Taxi Suite (Excerpt: 1. After ... When I drive cab I ...
Born August 16, 1926 in Phoenix, Arizona, to Lewis Barrett Welch Sr. and Dorothy Brownfield Welch. Mrs. Welch was the daughter of a wealthy Phoenix surgeon. Following the birth of Welch's sister his parents marriage broke up, and Dorothy Welch moved the family to California in 1929. Welch was three at the time, and for most of his childhood his mother moved from town to town in California. He attended schools in Santa Monica, Coronado, La Mesa, and El Cajon. In Palo, Alto Welch finished high school.
Welch entered Reed College in 1948, and the following year moved into a house with Gary Snyder; the following year they were joined by Philip Whalen. By the fall of 1949 Welch was ... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
Comments about Lew Welch
I Saw Myself
I saw myself
a ring of bone
in the clear stream
of all of it
always to be open to it
that all of it
might flow through
and then heard
"ring of bone" where
ring is what a