Nichita Stanescu Poems
- Sentimental Story Then we met more often. I stood at one ...
- A Poem
- Of Love She remains bored and very beautiful her black hair ...
- Sad Love Song Only my life will die for me, in truth, ...
- Winter Song You are so beautiful in winter! The field ...
- Poetry Poetry is the weeping eye it is the weeping ...
- Burned Forest Black snow was falling. The tree line shone ...
Nichita Stanescu was a Romanian poet and essayist. He is the most acclaimed contemporary Romanian language poet, leaving behind some of the most important poetry in post-war Romanian literature. more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
Then we met more often.
I stood at one side of the hour,
you at the other,
like two handles of an amphora.
Only the words flew between us,
back and forth.
You could almost see their swirling,
I would lower a knee,
and touch my elbow to the ground
to look at the grass, bent
by the falling of some word,
as though by the paw of a lion in flight.
The words spun between us,
back and forth,
and the more I loved you, the more
they continued, this whirl almost seen,
the structure of matter, the beginnings of things.