Kalidasa (4th Century - 5th Century / Ujjain / India)
Kalidasa (Devanāgarī: कालिदास "servant of Kali") was a renowned Classical Sanskrit writer, widely regarded as the greatest poet and dramatist in the Sanskrit language. His floruit cannot be dated with precision, but most likely falls within 4th Century AD.
His plays and poetry are primarily based on Hindu Puranas and philosophy.
Nothing apart from his works is known with certainty about the life of Kālidāsa, such as his period or where he lived. Little is known about Kālidāsa's life. According to legend, he was known for his beauty, which brought him to the attention of Princess Vidyottama and she married him. However, as legend has it, Kālidāsa... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
- Look To This Day
- Seasonal Cycle - Chapter 01 - Summer
- Seasonal Cycle - Chapter 02 - Rainy Seas...
- Seasonal Cycle - Chapter 03 - Pre Autumn
- Seasonal Cycle - Chapter 04 - Pre Winter
- Seasonal Cycle - Chapter 05 - Winter
- Seasonal Cycle - Chapter 06 - Spring
- Shakuntala Act 1
- The Birth of The War-God (Canto Fifth ) ...
- The Birth of The War-God (Canto First) -...
- The Birth of The War-God (Canto Fourth )...
- The Birth of The War-God (Canto Second) ...
- The Birth of The War-God (Canto Seventh ...
World Day for Cultural Diversity for Dialogue and Development
celebrated on May 21st every year
Your Favorite Poets’ Favorite Books of Poetry
Daily Rituals of Famous Authors
Writers seem to be the most prone to unshakeable routines and elaborate superstitions.
Incredible Reading Rooms Around the World
Cozy, beautiful places to curl up with a good book...