Pierre de Ronsard
Pierre de Ronsard (11 September 1524 – December 1585) was a French poet and "prince of poets" (as his own generation in France called him).
His popularity in his own time was overwhelming and immediate, and his prosperity was unbroken. He published his Hymns, dedicated to Margaret de Valois, in 1555; the conclusion of the Amours, addressed to another heroine, in 1556; and then a collection of Œuvres completes, said to be due to the invitation of Mary Stuart, queen of Francis II, in 1560; with Elégies, mascarades et bergeries in 1565. To this same year belongs his most important and interesting Abrégé de l'art poétique français.
The rapid change of sovereigns did Ronsard... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
- Of His Ladies Old Age
- Bonjour mon coeur, bonjour ma douce vie
- Je plante en ta faveur cet arbre de Cybè...
- To His Young Mistress
- Sonnets For Hélène . . extract
- Maîtresse, embrasse-moi, baise-moi, serr...
- Celui qui boit...
- Je voudrais bien richement jaunissant
- Ode à Cassandre
- Quand vous serez bien vieille, au soir, ...
- Ce beau corail, ce marbre qui soupire
- Il faut laisser maisons et vergers et ja...
- A Cupidon
- Marie, levez-vous, ma jeune paresseuse
Comments about Pierre de Ronsard
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)