I’m afraid for her.
I’m afraid that every time she helps me, and protects me from myself I’ll break her.
Afraid that once she sees who I truly am, she’ll break.
That she’ll run away, or live my emotions along with me.
Afraid that her smile will once disappear.
I’d never survive that, I’m afraid that once she’s broken nothing can repair her, or me.
I’m afraid that once she sees how I live, how I do what I do, or what I can do, she’ll be broken.
My heart clenches every time I think about her smile disappearing.
Any time I imagine her without her smile, with a despaired face, my heart breaks a tiny bit.
It doesn’t suit her, it probably doesn’t suit anyone, but some carry or hide it better, she can’t.
She mustn’t, I can’t let her.
I’m so afraid.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Afraid by Doris Johnson )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(15 April 1958)
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Tonight I can write the saddest lines, Pablo Neruda
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- QUARTER! 2015 Australian Open: Djokovic .., Vincent Wendele
Poem of the Day
- A Visit To Your Home Amongst A Field of .., Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- The Cavern by the Sea, Martha Lavinia Hoffman
- Of The Second Presage..., Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- A Smile!, Avinash Nair
- mGIC TREE, oskar hansen
- innocence, abdirahman haaji rilwaan
- MOST LIVING PEOPLE, Michael P. Johnson
- Beautiful rose, Andytics mufc
- How Not to Play War, Ima Ryma
- We are here to sing, gajanan mishra