Oh what fun there is on Bonfire Night
To see all the fireworks exploding, so bright.
Then, floating down, are endless coloured sparks,
They disappear on the bright green grass.
The clouds are lit up with amazing fairy lights,
All popping and whizzing at such a great height.
Down on the ground is the magnificent bonfire,
A crackling, fiery momument, there to be admired.
The laughter of children as they toast marshmallows,
While fireworks above rage, scream and bellow.
The leaves on the trees are a coppery red,
Falling from branches that soon will be dead.
A snowflake drifts from the sky above,
And I look at the guy with a mix of hate and love.
For if he hadn't marked the 5th of November,
What would there be to remember, remember?
So I look up with glee at the dark Autumn sky,
As up and away, a catherine wheel flies.
The children around me laugh and holler,
Looking up at a maze of celebratory colours.
And so our Bonfire Night will soon be ashes and ember,
But we'll all be back, next November!
Amy Darnbrook's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Bonfire Night by Amy Darnbrook )
Did you read them?
- Dimensional Reality, Deborah Kelley
- Je me souviens..., Richard John
- Napoleon Bonaparte, Joseph Ogbonna
- Understanding one's life anytime, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Equinox, Lawrence Beck
- One's sadness or happiness, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Auto rikshaw., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Invocation of Rain, Nkwachukwu Ogbuagu
- Harness Racing (Poem), Doris Beaulieu
- Twinkle twinkle little star - 4, ramesh rai
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Remnants Left Behind, Heather Burns
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Heather Burns
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(17 June 1867 – 2 September 1922)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)