Hush little girl, don’t cry.
The sun rises today.
Each blade of grass supports moisture pearls.
The lawns are cut and hedges trimmed,
and the birds sing melodies with the wind.
Hush little girl, don’t cry.
Nothing resides within that you should fear,
as the remains lie peacefully here.
A ring of hollow sun
protects my head,
and not a single bug
disturbs my bed.
My heavenly existence
is my continuation.
Visitors often pass by.
They bring me flowers
and sometimes cry.
Regularly, your father comes;
Shakily he begins to sing me a song.
His voice is like the pulsate of bongo drums.
Bearing the tenderness in his heart,
his lyrics and composure rapidly fall apart.
The image alone of his vocal tone
can change the mood of anyone;
put him in the white spotlight and watch
how his height grows through his mouth alone.
But when he sits here by my stone,
he fills the flower cones with water
and digs down really deep,
asking the Lord for assurance
that I hear what he speaks.
Beside him, like you, I sit,
hoping my distant touch will help him feel
that my presence is consistently near.
My existence he rationally tries to permit.
Smiling in the face of a sulking mask
Which many would have failed to do;
He conquered a task
in the most challenging of times.
With clear skies so far from view,
he stood up straight blowing away the clouds;
he saw he had a little girl to raise;
and he did a great job with you.
My world brightens when you two are together.
Your chemical combination makes me explode
with happiness as I watch you grow.
Hush my child, do not cry.
Instead, smile up into the night’s sky and know
that the brightest star smiling back at you,
The one that is the most high –
Know that it’s me
always in eyes reach!
Jaymie Lanera's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Comforting Thoughts by Jaymie Lanera )
- Halloween Wind, Rhonda Baker
- My Mam Jackie., David Boyce
- For every sun thus there Star Bucks., Raymond Sawyer
- whatever, Frank Avon
- Warmth in the Winter, Joshua Chuhran
- I REMEMBER, Nazreen Nazarudeen
- Story of Man, Joshua Chuhran
- Daily admission, gajanan mishra
- The Idealist., RAJ VIKRAM
- waste your time reading this, Mandolyn ...
Poem of the Day
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- The Raven, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Heather Burns
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)