An Indian Love Song
Lift up the veils that darken the delicate moon
of thy glory and grace,
Withhold not, O love, from the night
of my longing the joy of thy luminous face,
Give me a spear of the scented keora
guarding thy pinioned curls,
Or a silken thread from the fringes
that trouble the dream of thy glimmering pearls;
Faint grows my soul with thy tresses' perfume
and the song of thy anklets' caprice,
Revive me, I pray, with the magical nectar
that dwells in the flower of thy kiss.
How shall I yield to the voice of thy pleading,
how shall I grant thy prayer,
Or give thee a rose-red silken tassel,
a scented leaf from my hair?
Or fling in the flame of thy heart's desire the veils that cover my face,
Profane the law of my father's creed for a foe
of my father's race?
Thy kinsmen have broken our sacred altars and slaughtered our sacred kine,
The feud of old faiths and the blood of old battles sever thy people and mine.
What are the sins of my race, Beloved,
what are my people to thee?
And what are thy shrines, and kine and kindred,
what are thy gods to me?
Love recks not of feuds and bitter follies,
of stranger, comrade or kin,
Alike in his ear sound the temple bells
and the cry of the muezzin.
For Love shall cancel the ancient wrong
and conquer the ancient rage,
Redeem with his tears the memoried sorrow
that sullied a bygone age.
Sarojini Naidu's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (An Indian Love Song by Sarojini Naidu )
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Michael P. McParland
Rainer Maria Rilke
(4 December 1875 – 29 December 1926)
(4 November 1771 – 30 April 1854)
- Mark Strand
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- A Universal Gift, Sandra Feldman
Poem of the Day
- Infinite Love, Ifthekar Ifthi
- Christmas Tale, Gergana Teofilova
- None Sweeter, Michael P. McParland
- Not Yet Slept, Michael P. McParland
- No Other, Michael P. McParland
- Blue Hope, maryline vautravers
- No More Yelling, Michael P. McParland
- No Greater Love, Michael P. McParland
- Nightlife, Michael P. McParland
- Never Ending, Michael P. McParland