Persephone, may this your mercy last, and you,
Persephone's consort, be not over-cruel.
There are so many thousands of lovely ghosts in Hell:
let one fair girl, please, stay among the living.
With you is Iope, with you is dazzling Tyro,
with you Europe, and shameless Pasiphae,
and all the beauties ancient Troy and Achaea had,
and Thebes, and aged Priam's ruined realm,
and all the Roman girls that may be ranked among them,
all dead: the greedy fire now has them all.
Beauty is not forever, nor anyone's luck eternal:
distant or near, a death awaits us all.
Since you, light of my life, are freed from this great peril,
pay Diana the ritual gifts you owe,
and keep your vigil for her, now a goddess, who once was a heifer
and give her - ah me! - the ten pure nights you vowed.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Deliverance by Propertius )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- A Life-Lesson, James Whitcomb Riley
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- Where once you stood, Edward Clapham
- Thou hast dove eyes, thou hast dove eyes., devon da poet
- Habits, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- CAN'T GET THERE., Terry Collett
- Blurred vision., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- One Hundred and Eleven Cranks, Mitchell Gonzalez
- Want Versus Need..., Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- Why we quarrel., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Death in action., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- The River! The River!, Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR