Don't Do This At Home
When I lived in Wichita Falls, Texas, age three, I used to go around
the house collecting bugs and spiders. Mostly scorpions (from the sinks and bathtubs and shoes) and black widow spiders (from everywhere) and take them ouside.
Then I would dig a pit in the dirt, dust, sand, or whatever it was, then soak it in gasoline (taken without my father's permission which he would not
have given and wisely so since a year or so later I almost burned down our house) .
Oh! The gasoline pit!
Then I would put a spider and a scorpion into the presoaked pit and set it on fire. (I loved matches) You would think that the creatures first instinct
would be to flee but instead they would attack each other and burn up in the pit. (neat) Two down and a whole house to go. Bugs, not actually the
house. Thus began my early studies in hate.
Hate will only succumb to death. (neat again) So you were reading at age four? I was working on my PhD at age three.
Midnights Voice's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Don't Do This At Home by Midnights Voice )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
- Michael P. McParland
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
Alfred Lord Tennyson
(6 August 1809 – 6 October 1892)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Home They Brought Her Warrior Dead, Alfred Lord Tennyson
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Fear No More, William Shakespeare
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- Christmas Day In the Workhouse, George Robert Sims
- The Tiger, William Blake
Poem of the Day
- The Illusory Driver, Lukas Sotola
- कहो क्या हो, जो मेरा दिल तुम्हे मुमताज़ क.., Abhishek Omprakash Mishra
- the kingdom is born, ademola oluwabusayo
- Haiku(Christmas), Aftab Alam
- At a Wedding, Sir John Suckling
- Nostalgia, Lawrence Beck
- Evening Song, Sherwood Anderson
- Gentle Golden Light, Margaret Alice Second
- What is I want under the destinies ten.., Yuri Starostin
- Lonely Road, Alexander Onoja