My nephew Fletcher, from this line,
Heed these words, wise words of mine.
I am your uncle, so trust me hence
Even if you think I make no sense.
For I have lived longer; seen more than you,
Thus let my lessons on life duly ensue.
Now no doubt you’ve worked out your uncle’s a poet,
So take his advice and don’t simply blow it.
As my poem is more than just words that rhyme,
But rather lessons that have long withstood time.
Alas, I best move on with greater haste
For time is of the essence and not ours’ to waste!
Firstly, be brave and flamboyant; don’t follow others,
And please avoid women with big older brothers!
Remember to be calm; stay patient with girls.
Don’t waste your precious money on buying them pearls.
Instead, invest in a collie, and keep him near
As he’ll stay by your side until the end is here...
Now! When it comes to football, value your kicks
And watch out for old blokes’ dirty tricks.
On the field and in life you will grow up fast,
Thus treasure each moment; don’t dwell in the past.
While friends will be lost, family stays true,
So mate, rush to my aid if I’m in a big blue!
However, enough of the laughs, it’s time to talk straight
Before you suffer a familiar lonesome fate.
Of course, I have much more to say
Though just one last note I’ve reserved for today:
Love your mother; that’s more important than all.
For before you were fit and proud and tall
She bore you life from her breast,
Taught you to speak and how to get dressed.
Hence cherish her presence and treat her so kind,
As you owe her more than can possibly be mined!
So good luck mate, go forth with zest,
And Fletcher I promise, you’ll soon learn the rest.
Jack Growden's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Fletcher by Jack Growden )
- Love is a Liquid ~~~ vs.45, Monk E. Biz
- A Poets View Of Modern Life, Yohan Confectioner
- Love is a Liquid ~~~ vs.44, Monk E. Biz
- Love is a Liquid ~~~ vs.43, Monk E. Biz
- Love is a Liquid ~~~ v.42, Monk E. Biz
- Love is a Liquid ~~~ vs.41, Monk E. Biz
- Conflict, SALINI NAIR
- Love is a Liquid ~~~ vs.40, Monk E. Biz
- Love is a Liquid ~~~ vs.39, Monk E. Biz
- Love is a Liquid ~~~ v.38, Monk E. Biz
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Footsteps of Angels, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
James Whitcomb Riley
(7 October 1849 - 22 July 1916)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)