Tyler S. Johnson
Im a Volunteer (Poem for Volunteer Firefighters) Firefighter
The night is silent, there is no light.
But somewhere across town, there is a fire to fight.
The noise of my pager awakens me
Dispatch shouts of fire with entrapment.
I get my keys and stumble to my feet.
I rush to my truck, hoping I'm in luck.
The blue light spins, as i hope we can win.
I get to the station and don my heavy gear
I get on the truck to fight someone's fear.
Passenger seat I sit, we'll be there in a bit.
With sirens yelping and red lights lighting the night sky
I hope to God no one on my truck dies.
As we round the corner, I see a glow
Hoping to god the house doesn't blow.
We pull up front and I hop off the truck
Grabbing a hose and putting a pack on my back
I rush in to a smoke filled darkness without looking back.
I'm alone and scared, hoping God is looking down
The room comes alive, an orange hell around.
I open the hose in an attempt to drown
The child is in here, I look all around
I hear the order to get out now!
The roof is sagging, I run to the door
I trip on a door as the flames roar
There he lays, in the same door.
I scoop and run, i can't make it to the door
Out a window i dive, from the second floor.
I hit the pavement and start CPR.
Hoping I can make the run to the EMS car.
I dropp the baby off as i fall to my knees
As tired as I may be, I have a fire to fight.
God, I love this life.
Fifteen minutes later, I stumble to my rig.
looking at the remains, the house was so big.
I walk into my house, nearly 6 o'clock.
I did my job, and I did it well.
This is not my career, I'm a Volunteer.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Im a Volunteer (Poem for Volunteer Firefighters) Firefighter by Tyler S. Johnson )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Percy Bysshe Shelley
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(8 February 1911 – 6 October 1979)
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Death Of A Naturalist, Seamus Heaney
Poem of the Day
- Out Of My Head, Anuradha Singh
- Revealing life in Death, Angell Afinowi
- The Jujube Tree And Me, Madathil Nair
- AM HOOKED IN YOUR TRUE LOVE., Changez Ndzai
- Coffee And Cream Chocolates, Michael P. McParland
- Bless You Tonight, Michael P. McParland
- You at the Center, rosalinda flores rosevoc
- Odia Poem- Brukshya Debata, Jitendra seth
- The Sorry Band-Aid, william upton
- Odia Poem- SATHI, Jitendra seth