The sadness I see while I am here
a life of struggle, loss, hate and fear.
I was lucky to be American born
unlike these children whose lives are torn.
They are raised in a world of fighting and pain
where bullets and shrapnel spread like rain.
Playing outside with a friend or a brother
could end in death and screams from a mother.
The look in their eyes isn't careless and free
it isn't of playing games and climbing trees.
It is a look of intensity, sadness and fear
a look I've never seen in a child until I came here.
I want to save these children that haven't a choice
but to live in a world like theirs without a loud enough voice.
It is easy to blame them for the adult life they are living
but what choice do they have, it is the life they are given.
They are born into this life that isn't free
they pay with their lives or learn to live what they see.
I can't imagine the pain they feel from their start
I wish I could erase the scars from their hearts.
So many questions I have, the first being why
Why have a child that your raising to die?
You honor a belief more than a daughter or son
that is the message when the killings are done.
I pray for the soul of that child that became the adult
from the life they were given it isn't their fault.
Everyday I am here it is a lesson to me
I thank God I am from the 'Land of the Free'.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (lost soul by ty. bohls )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
William Ernest Henley
- Oh Mediterranean sea, fgbkehdguwheqi rewfgwej
- Ramblings of Devils Workshop, Nalini Chaturvedi
- BEFORE YOU CAST THE STONE, kevinsky nyaga
- Remembering you Bother, NEDRA WILSON
- Noemia de Sousa (The Poem of Joao), African Poems
- Hard Times for Horses, Janet Armstrong
- Pappou Elias' Poem, Elia Michael
- Dispirited Humanity, Aftab Alam
- A nonentity's. Life, Nalini Chaturvedi
- Girl, We Both Suffer, Ronell Warren Alman