Charles Henry Soutar
The Mallee Fire
I SUPPOSE it just depends on where you're raised,
Once I met a cove as swore by green belar!
Couldn't sight the good old mallee-stump I praised;
Well!—I couldn't sight belar, and there you are!
But the faces in the fire where the mallee stump's a-blinking
Are the friendliest I ever seen, to my way o' thinking!
In the city where the fires is mostly coal—
There! I can't a-bear to go and warm my feet!
Spitting, fizzing things as hasn't got no soul!
Things as puffs out yaller smoke instead of heat!
But at home—well, it is home when the mallee-stump's a-burning,
And the evenin's drawing chilly and the season is a-turning.
And there's some as runs 'em down because they're tough.
Well? And what's the good of anythink as ain't?
No. It's nary use to serve 'em any bluff,
For they'd use up all the patience of a saint.
But they'll split as sweet as sugar if you know the way to take 'em;
If you don't, there isn't nothink in the world as'll make 'em.
They're tremenjus hard to kindle, tho', at first:
Like the friendship of the kind that comes to stay.
You can blow and blow and blow until you burst,
And when they won't, they won't burn, anyway!
But when once they gets a start, tho' they make no showy flashes,
Well, they'll serve you true and honest to the last pinch of ashes
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Mallee Fire by Charles Henry Soutar )
- Night Walkers, Olufayo Ezekiel
- Sonnet: Life Looks Strange, Dr John Celes
- The Real Me, Margaret Alice Second
- kiss me hardy, george albot
- When Will I Wake, Anirudh Rawat
- Silencio en ingles, Donnie Wolff
- Our Lewd Obscene and Vulgar Episodes, Hamid Vitalis
- Life, Anirudh Rawat
- If You Stop Loving Me, Fatima Nusairat
- Rain And The Shadows, Anirudh Rawat
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- 1914 V: The Soldier, Rupert Brooke
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
Edna St. Vincent Millay
(22 February 1892 – 19 October 1950)