There Stands The Man.
There stands the man, as tall as the Everest Mountain.
When I had four legs, you would throw me so high and
I'd come down with a broad smile because I felt safe in
your warm outstretched arms. I never got to know how you
do your coin trick.
The few times you hugged me felt like a journey to the
end of the world on an elephant.
You never completed the story about the creatures who
descended from the stars every night to bring food to
Anytime my friends said nice things about their fathers
in my presence, I would be silent because I thought I had
nothing to write home about when it had to do with my father.
Legends are right when they say 'you don't know what you
have until you lose it'.
I don't ever want to repeat this on my death bed
regretfully someday so I listed all the good things about
you, that I may proclaim it boastfully on your birthday
instead of waiting till a tribute.
I'm learning to count my blessings one by one.Yes! , I
may not be in the royal family of England nor amongst the Rockefellers but this one thing I can proudly boast of,
'I have the happiest family in the world'. I don't care
anymore what the world thinks about you.They didn't carry
me on their shoulders to watch the most prestigious
festival neither did they hold my hand on my 1st day at
school, the world did not buy me my favorite toy as well,
There stands the man, of course he stands tall in my heart.
Mawunyo Adjei's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (There Stands The Man. by Mawunyo Adjei )
- Will You Read My Poem, Sir?, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Repair a net, Trong Phan
- Jayanta Mahahpatra As An Image-maker, A .., Bijay Kant Dubey
- hindi haiku ghazal chaand, S.D. TIWARI
- Who Really Cares? Does Anything Matter?, Mr. Nobody
- Jashn manaao, Aftab Alam
- Poetry Is Where You Find It X, Frank Avon
- Happiness Is..., Arno Le Roux
- I Never Travelled Alone, Akhtar Jawad
- Wholesomeness To Thirst, Lawrence S. Pertillar
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Emmonsail's Heath in Winter, John Clare
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Rainer Maria Rilke
(4 December 1875 – 29 December 1926)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
Alfred Lord Tennyson
(6 August 1809 – 6 October 1892)