A Prayer in Time of War
The war will change many things in art and life, and among them, it is to be hoped, many of our own ideas as to what is, and what is not, "intellectual."
Thou, whose deep ways are in the sea,
Whose footsteps are not known,
To-night a world that turned from Thee
Is waiting -- at Thy Throne.
The towering Babels that we raised
Where scoffing sophists brawl,
The little Antichrists we praised --
The night is on them all.
The fool hath said . . . The fool hath said . ..
And we, who deemed him wise,
We who believed that Thou wast dead,
How should we seek Thine eyes?
How should we seek to Thee for power
Who scorned Thee yesterday?
How should we kneel, in this dread hour?
Lord, teach us how to pray!
Grant us the single heart, once more,
That mocks no sacred thing,
The Sword of Truth our fathers wore
When Thou wast Lord and King.
Let darkness unto darkness tell
Our deep unspoken prayer,
For, while our souls in darkness dwell,
We know that Thou art there.
Alfred Noyes's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Prayer in Time of War by Alfred Noyes )
- Patience & Acceptance, Tom Zart
- I am a stream, DEEPAK KUMAR PATTANAYAK
- THE WIDOW, john chizoba vincent
- They Are The Bamiyan Buddhas, You Fire N.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Mundamala Kali, Bijay Kant Dubey
- LETTER TO A MOTHER 2, john chizoba vincent
- The Festival of Lights, Deepawali, Bijay Kant Dubey
- To Loving Partha Sarothi -A Token Of Love., Bazi alis Subrata Ray
- Picking At Sores, Kyle Schlicher
- Crazy, Dipankar Sadhukhan
Poem of the Day
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- A Drinking Song, William Butler Yeats
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
- Heather Burns