Waylaid by Love
Last night, light of my life, while wandering drunkenly,
without attending slaves to lead the way,
I met a throng of tiny boys - I do not know
how many (fear forbade me number them) .
Some held little torches, others carried arrows,
and some, I thought, were readying chains for me.
But they were naked. One, friskier than the rest,
said, 'Grab him! You all know him well by now!
This is the man the angry woman hired us for! '
He spoke, and then the noose was round my neck.
One bid them push me into their midst, and another said,
'Perish the man who thinks we are not gods!
She waits for you hours on end, not that you deserve it,
but you, fool, seek some other woman's door.
When she undoes the bands of her Sidonian blue
night-scarf, and turns her drowsy gaze to yours,
perfumes will breathe on you, from no Arabian spice,
but that Love made himself, with his own hands.
Now spare him, brothers; now he vows a faithful love,
and see! here is the house that we protect.'
And then, when I had put my cloak back on, they said,
'Now go, and learn to spend your nights at home.'
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Waylaid by Love by Propertius )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
Percy Bysshe Shelley
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- A Smile To Remember, Charles Bukowski
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- Winter Solstice, Jacqueline C Nash
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- Another Wish, Michael P. McParland
- Cop Killers and Killer Cops, Is It Poetry
- Another Night (Off To Sleep), Michael P. McParland
- Another Day, Michael P. McParland
- Hands on Hips, Mae AC.
- Hands in Pockets, Mae AC.
- Another Christmas, Michael P. McParland
- Anonymous Girl, Michael P. McParland
- An Unbreakable Bond, Michael P. McParland
- An Awesome Friend (For Electric Lady), Michael P. McParland