When I Was Younger
When I was younger
I'd put my arms in my shirt and told people I lost my arms.
I would restart the video game whenever I knew I was going to lose.
Slept with all the stuffed animals as a child so none of them got offended.
I had that one pen with 4 colors, and tried to push all the buttons at once.
I poured soda into the cap and acted like I were taking shots.
The hardest decision was choosing which Nintendo game to play.
I would wait behind a door to scare someone, then left because they're taking too long.
I faked being asleep, so I could be carried to bed.
I used to think that the moon followed my car.
I watched two drops of rain roll down window and pretended it was a race.
I went on the computer just to use Paint.
The only 'fake' friends I had were invisible ones.
I used to sing in the shower.
And whenever I swallowed a fruit seed I was scared to death that a tree was going to grow in my tummy.
Remember when we were kids and couldn't wait to grow up... what in the world were we thinking?
Lylo Benant's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (When I Was Younger by Lylo Benant )
- Simply Marvelous, Electric Lady
- Winter in Tennessee, Frank Avon
- Oh, I Can Fly, Francie Lynch
- The drowned emigrants المهاجرون الغرقى, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Clean and sanitized., Ryan Brodesser
- Final Devotion, Saiom Shriver
- Goggles and Goggle-Box, Kumarmani Mahakul
- Promises, Madrason writer
- A Daily Paradox; A Lost Masterpiece, Patrick van der Loos
- A Dewy Pearl, Elia Michael
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Merry-Go-Round, Langston Hughes
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Heather Burns
Kazi Nazrul Islam
(24 May 1899 - 29 August 1976)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
William Carlos Williams
(17 September 1883 – 4 March 1963)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)