America Poems - Poems For America
Poems about america. You can read the best america poems. Browse through all america poems.
Let America Be America Again - Poem by Langston Hughes
Let America be America again.
Let it be the dream it used to be.
Let it be the pioneer on the plain
Seeking a home where he himself is free.
(America never was America to me.)
Let America be the dream the dreamers dreamed--
Let it be that great strong land of love
Where never kings connive nor tyrants scheme
That any man be crushed by one above.
(It never was America to me.)
O, let my land be a land where Liberty
Is crowned with no false patriotic wreath,
But opportunity is real, and life is free,
Equality is in the air we breathe.
(There's never been equality for me,
Nor freedom in this "homeland of the free.")
Say, who are you that mumbles in the dark?
And who are you that draws your veil across the stars?
I am the poor white, fooled and pushed apart,
I am the Negro bearing slavery's scars.
I am the red man driven from the land,
I am the immigrant clutching the hope I seek--
And finding only the same old stupid plan
Of dog eat dog, of mighty crush the weak.
I am the young man, full of strength and hope,
Tangled in that ancient endless chain
Of profit, power, gain, of grab the land!
Of grab the gold! Of grab the ways of satisfying need!
Of work the men! Of take the pay!
Of owning everything for one's own greed!
I am the farmer, bondsman to the soil.
I am the worker sold to the machine.
I am the Negro, servant to you all.
I am the people, humble, hungry, mean--
Hungry yet today despite the dream.
Beaten yet today--O, Pioneers!
I am the man who never got ahead,
The poorest worker bartered through the years.
Yet I'm the one who dreamt our basic dream
In the Old World while still a serf of kings,
Who dreamt a dream so strong, so brave, so true,
That even yet its mighty daring sings
In every brick and stone, in every furrow turned
That's made America the land it has become.
O, I'm the man who sailed those early seas
In search of what I meant to be my home--
For I'm the one who left dark Ireland's shore,
And Poland's plain, and England's grassy lea,
And torn from Black Africa's strand I came
To build a "homeland of the free."
Who said the free? Not me?
Surely not me? The millions on relief today?
The millions shot down when we strike?
The millions who have nothing for our pay?
For all the dreams we've dreamed
And all the songs we've sung
And all the hopes we've held
And all the flags we've hung,
The millions who have nothing for our pay--
Except the dream that's almost dead today.
O, let America be America again--
The land that never has been yet--
And yet must be--the land where every man is free.
The land that's mine--the poor man's, Indian's, Negro's, ME--
Who made America,
Whose sweat and blood, whose faith and pain,
Whose hand at the foundry, whose plow in the rain,
Must bring back our mighty dream again.
Sure, call me any ugly name you choose--
The steel of freedom does not stain.
From those who live like leeches on the people's lives,
We must take back our land again,
I say it plain,
America never was America to me,
And yet I swear this oath--
America will be!
Out of the rack and ruin of our gangster death,
The rape and rot of graft, and stealth, and lies,
We, the people, must redeem
The land, the mines, the plants, the rivers.
The mountains and the endless plain--
All, all the stretch of these great green states--
And make America again!
Comments about Let America Be America Again by Langston Hughes
Poems About America
- 1. Let America Be America Again , Langston Hughes
- 2. America , Claude McKay
- 3. On Being Brought From Africa To America , Phillis Wheatley
- 4. I Hear America Singing , Walt Whitman
- 5. America The Beautiful , Katharine Lee Bates
- 6. A Farewell To America To Mrs. S. W. , Phillis Wheatley
- 7. America, A Prophecy , William Blake
- 8. A Prophecy: To George Keats In America , John Keats
- 9. America For Me , Henry Van Dyke
- 10. America, America! , Delmore Schwartz
- 11. America , Herman Melville
- 12. America , Henry Van Dyke
- 13. One Song, America, Before I Go , Walt Whitman
- 14. America , Robert Creeley
- 15. Long, Too Long America , Walt Whitman
- 16. A Message To America , Alan Seeger
- 17. The Greatest Thing In North America , Delmore Schwartz
- 18. America , Gertrude Stein
- 19. ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' .. , Dónall Dempsey
- 20. America , William Cullen Bryant
- 21. America Politica Historia, In Spontaneity , Gregory Corso
- 22. America , Olivia Taylor
- 23. *america - * , Louie Levy
- 24. God Bless Us (America America America .. , Udiah (witness to Yah)
- 25. America , Edgar Lee Masters
- 26. Circular From America , George Barker
- 27. To Walt Whitman In America , Algernon Charles Swinburne
- 28. America To England , Katharine Lee Bates
- 29. England To America , Katharine Lee Bates
- 30. America Is An Idea , Lonnie Hicks
- 31. I Too, Sing America (Inspired By Langsto.. , Vaida Marea
- 32. Part 1 Of Trout Fishing In America , Richard Brautigan
- 33. America In 1804 , Edgar Lee Masters
- 34. Concept Of America (America America Am.. , Udiah (witness to Yah)
- 35. America In 1904 , Edgar Lee Masters
- 36. America, The Good Neighbour , Herbert Nehrlich
- 37. America To Russia , Oliver Wendell Holmes
- 38. A Poem, On The Rising Glory Of America , Hugh Henry Brackenridge
- 39. Part 10 Of Trout Fishing In America , Richard Brautigan
- 40. America , Sydney Thompson Dobell
- 41. Part 3 Of Trout Fishing In America , Richard Brautigan
- 42. America Politico , JOE POEWHIT
- 43. Song Of America , Ella Wheeler Wilcox
- 44. Part 2 Of Trout Fishing In America , Richard Brautigan
- 45. A Soldier To America. , JOSE MURGUIA
- 46. What Does America Need To Do To Survive? , Lonnie Hicks
- 47. Z-The Muse- Whither America? , Lonnie Hicks
- 48. Part 6 Of Trout Fishing In America , Richard Brautigan
- 49. Part 7 Of Trout Fishing In America , Richard Brautigan
- 50. Calendar-Scenic America (Haiku Verses Ea.. , Jim Norausky
New America Poems
- Ghazal: America the Beautiful, Alicia Suskin Ostriker
- Charles Graner Is Not America, Geoffrey Brock
- West African Verses (America My Dream), Sunday Igwebuike
- To Geoffrey Brock, Istabraq Al Ahmadi
- America Great Again, Randy McClave
- I Never Slept In America, Raj Dronamraju
- Rendezvous With America, Melvin Beaunorus Tolson
- A Break Up Letter To America, Brice Maiurro
- What's Happening America?, Regan Kathleen
- In America, Katherine Perry
- carpe diem