Christmas Poems - Poems For Christmas
Poems about christmas. You can read the best christmas poems. Browse through all christmas poems.
A Visit From St. Nicholas - Poem by Clement Clarke Moore
‘Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the house
Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse;
The stockings were hung by the chimney with care,
In hopes that St. Nicholas soon would be there;
The children were nestled all snug in their beds,
While visions of sugar-plums danced in their heads;
And mamma in her ’kerchief, and I in my cap,
Had just settled our brains for a long winter’s nap,
When out on the lawn there arose such a clatter,
I sprang from the bed to see what was the matter.
Away to the window I flew like a flash,
Tore open the shutters and threw up the sash.
The moon on the breast of the new-fallen snow
Gave the lustre of mid-day to objects below,
When, what to my wondering eyes should appear,
But a miniature sleigh, and eight tiny reindeer,
With a little old driver, so lively and quick,
I knew in a moment it must be St. Nick.
More rapid than eagles his coursers they came,
And he whistled, and shouted, and called them by name;
“Now, Dasher! now, Dancer! now, Prancer and Vixen!
On, Comet! on, Cupid! on, Donder and Blitzen!
To the top of the porch! to the top of the wall!
Now dash away! dash away! dash away all! ”
As dry leaves that before the wild hurricane fly,
When they meet with an obstacle, mount to the sky;
So up to the house-top the coursers they flew,
With the sleigh full of Toys, and St. Nicholas too.
And then, in a twinkling, I heard on the roof
The prancing and pawing of each little hoof.
As I drew in my head, and was turning around,
Down the chimney St. Nicholas came with a bound.
He was dressed all in fur, from his head to his foot,
And his clothes were all tarnished with ashes and soot;
A bundle of Toys he had flung on his back,
And he looked like a pedler just opening his pack.
His eyes—how they twinkled! his dimples how merry!
His cheeks were like roses, his nose like a cherry!
His droll little mouth was drawn up like a bow
And the beard of his chin was as white as the snow;
The stump of a pipe he held tight in his teeth,
And the smoke it encircled his head like a wreath;
He had a broad face and a little round belly,
That shook when he laughed, like a bowlful of jelly.
He was chubby and plump, a right jolly old elf,
And I laughed when I saw him, in spite of myself;
A wink of his eye and a twist of his head,
Soon gave me to know I had nothing to dread;
He spoke not a word, but went straight to his work,
And filled all the stockings; then turned with a jerk,
And laying his finger aside of his nose,
And giving a nod, up the chimney he rose;
He sprang to his sleigh, to his team gave a whistle,
And away they all flew like the down of a thistle,
But I heard him exclaim, ere he drove out of sight,
“Happy Christmas to all, and to all a good-night.”
Comments about A Visit From St. Nicholas by Clement Clarke Moore
Poems About Christmas
- 1. A Visit From St. Nicholas , Clement Clarke Moore
- 2. The Three Kings , Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- 3. Christmas Trees , Robert Frost
- 4. Minstrels , William Wordsworth
- 5. Ring Out , Wild Bells , Alfred Lord Tennyson
- 6. Christmas At Sea , Robert Louis Stevenson
- 7. Christmas Carol , Sara Teasdale
- 8. Christmas In India , Rudyard Kipling
- 9. In The Bleak Midwinter , Christina Georgina Rossetti
- 10. The Boy Who Laughed At Santa Claus , Ogden Nash
- 11. Hymn On The Morning Of Christ's Nativity , John Milton
- 12. Mistletoe , Walter de la Mare
- 13. Good King Wenceslas , John Mason Neale
- 14. At Christmas , Edgar Albert Guest
- 15. A Christmas Carol , Samuel Taylor Coleridge
- 16. Christmas Bells , Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- 17. Marmion: A Christmas Poem , Sir Walter Scott
- 18. T Was Just This Time Last Year I Died. , Emily Dickinson
- 19. The Oxen , Thomas Hardy
- 20. The True Christians , Henry Vaughan
- 21. Cradle Hymn , Martin Luther
- 22. A Christmas Carol , George Wither
- 23. A Child's Christmas In Wales , Dylan Thomas
- 24. In California During The Gulf War , Denise Levertov
- 25. A Christmas Ghost Story. , Thomas Hardy
- 26. Old Santeclaus , Clement Clarke Moore
- 27. Carol Of The Birds , Anne Stevenson
- 28. The Twelve Days Of Christmas , Anonymous
- 29. Ceremonies For Christmas , Robert Herrick
- 30. The Magi , William Butler Yeats
- 31. The Savior Must Have Been A Docile Gentl.. , Emily Dickinson
- 32. The Mahogany Tree , William Makepeace Thackeray
- 33. A Bell , Clinton Scollard
- 34. Toward The Winter Solstice , Timothy Steele
- 35. New-Year’s Eve And New-Year’s Day , Bessie Rayner Parkes
- 36. Skating In Harlem, Christmas Day , Cynthia Zarin
- 37. The Shivering Beggar , Robert Graves
- 38. Modern Love Xxiii: 'Tis Christmas Weather , George Meredith
- 39. Taking Down The Tree , Jane Kenyon
- 40. Christmas Sparrow , Billy Collins
- 41. The Mystic’s Christmas , John Greenleaf Whittier
- 42. Noel: Christmas Eve 1913 , Robert Seymour Bridges
- 43. A Christmas Carol , Christina Georgina Rossetti
- 44. Christmas Holidays , Thomas Hood
- 45. From The Short Story A Christmas Dream, .. , Louisa May Alcott
- 46. Christmas Cheer , Thomas Tusser
- 47. A Christmas Childhood , Patrick Kavanagh
- 48. Christmas Away From Home , Jane Kenyon
- 49. The Holly And The Ivy , Anonymous British
- 50. Christmas Everywhere , Phillips Brooks
New Christmas Poems
- And Now It's Christmas, Loyd C. Taylor, Sr.
- Christmas Is Love, Dorsey Baker
- Merry Christmas My Love 2, Michael P. McParland
- Christmas Is Not Christmas.., Frankie Wills
- Christmas, Emily 1 Krauss
- The Spirit Of Christmas, April Humason
- Merry Christmas, Neela Nath Das
- Misunderstanding Of Christmas., Harold R Hunt Sr
- Get Prepared, jayne harris
- Christmas Spirit, cheyenne mccartney
- carpe diem