History Poems - Poems For History
Poems about history. You can read the best history poems. Browse through all history poems.
Still I Rise - Poem by Maya Angelou
You may write me down in history
With your bitter, twisted lies,
You may tread me in the very dirt
But still, like dust, I'll rise.
Does my sassiness upset you?
Why are you beset with gloom?
'Cause I walk like I've got oil wells
Pumping in my living room.
Just like moons and like suns,
With the certainty of tides,
Just like hopes springing high,
Still I'll rise.
Did you want to see me broken?
Bowed head and lowered eyes?
Shoulders falling down like teardrops.
Weakened by my soulful cries.
Does my haughtiness offend you?
Don't you take it awful hard
'Cause I laugh like I've got gold mines
Diggin' in my own back yard.
You may shoot me with your words,
You may cut me with your eyes,
You may kill me with your hatefulness,
But still, like air, I'll rise.
Does my sexiness upset you?
Does it come as a surprise
That I dance like I've got diamonds
At the meeting of my thighs?
Out of the huts of history's shame
Up from a past that's rooted in pain
I'm a black ocean, leaping and wide,
Welling and swelling I bear in the tide.
Leaving behind nights of terror and fear
Into a daybreak that's wondrously clear
Bringing the gifts that my ancestors gave,
I am the dream and the hope of the slave.
Comments about Still I Rise by Maya Angelou
Poems About History
- 1. Still I Rise , Maya Angelou
- 2. Ancient History , Siegfried Sassoon
- 3. History , Robert Lowell
- 4. A Summary History Of Lord Clive , William Topaz McGonagall
- 5. In Flanders Field , John McCrae
- 6. The Sea Is History , Derek Walcott
- 7. While History's Muse , Thomas Moore
- 8. Casabianca , Felicia Dorothea Hemans
- 9. Boston , Ralph Waldo Emerson
- 10. Yesterday Is History , Emily Dickinson
- 11. The Battle Of Lexington , Sidney Lanier
- 12. Witchcraft Was Hung, In History , Emily Dickinson
- 13. Battle Of The Baltic, The , Thomas Campbell
- 14. The Eve Of Waterloo , George Gordon Byron
- 15. The Battle Of Salamis , Aeschylus
- 16. Song Of Marion's Men , William Cullen Bryant
- 17. The Battle Of New Orleans , Thomas Dunn English
- 18. The Littlle Black-Eyed Rebel , Will McKendree Carleton
- 19. The Cumberland , Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- 20. Ivry , Thomas Babbington Macaulay
- 21. Of History And Hope , Stanley Miller Williams
- 22. Learning From History , David Ferry
- 23. Secret History , Charles Simic
- 24. American History , Michael Steven Harper
- 25. Outside History , Eavan Boland
- 26. Meeting History , Raymond A Foss
- 27. The Birthday Of The World , Marge Piercy
- 28. Forgotten History , Raymond A Foss
- 29. History , Carol Ann Duffy
- 30. Matriot Acts, Act I [history Of Mankind] , Anne Waldman
New History Poems
- History, How Old Is History?, Bijay Kant Dubey
- What Is History? (I), Bijay Kant Dubey
- History, Christopher Tye
- Vikramshila: A Long Poem, Bijay Kant Dubey
- History Is Written With Blood, john chizoba vincent
- Someone Has To Tell This Storyi, john chizoba vincent
- History Of Earth, Bijay Kant Dubey
- When Will History Repeat For Me?, Jon Dunn
- The Missing Thread, Ramakrushna Sahu
- 6) The Great Walk In The New Millenni.., Otradom Pelogo
- carpe diem