Thomas Augustine Daly
Thomas Augustine Daly Poems
- Da Leetla Boy Da spreeng ees com'! but oh, da joy ...
- Mia Carlotta GIUSEPPE, da barber, ees greata for 'mash,' He...
- Da Sweeta Soil All weenter-time I work for deeg Da tranch ...
- Between Two Loves I GOTTA lov' for Angela, I lov' Carlotta,...
- Da Boy From Rome To-day ees com' from Eetaly A boy ees ...
- Two ‘mericana Men Beeg Irish cop dat walk hees beat By den ...
- Da Comica Man Giacobbe Finelli so funny, O! My! By tweestin’...
best known for his humorous verses in mock Italian-American and Irish American dialect.
Thomas Augustine Daly is best known for his humorous verse primarily in Italian or Irish-American dialect. Although popular for forty years as a poet, he was a versatile writer, and he built an international reputation as an author, columnist, and lecturer. His dialectal humor continued the tradition... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
Da Leetla Boy
Da spreeng ees com'! but oh, da joy
Eet ees too late!
He was so cold, my leetla boy,
He no could wait.
I no can count how manny week,
How manny day, dat he ees seeck;
How manny night I seet an' hold
Da leetla hand dat was so cold.
He was so patience, oh, so sweet!
Eet hurts my throat for theenk of eet;
An' all he evra ask ees w'en
Ees gona com' da spreeng agen.
Wan day, wan brighta sunny day,
He see, across da alleyway,
Da leetla girl dat's livin' dere
Ees raise her window for da air,