Thomas Warton Jr.
Thomas Warton Jr. Poems
- Ode To Sleep On this my pensive pillow, gentle Sleep! ...
- On King Arthur's Round Table A...
- While Summer Suns O'Er The Gay...
- The Pleasures Of Melancholy Mother of musings, Contemplation ...
- Solitude At An Inn Oft upon the twilight plain, Circled ...
- Written At Stonehenge Thou noblest monument of Albion's ...
- Verses On Sir Joshua Reynold's...
an English literary historian, critic, and poet. From 1785 to 1790, he was the Poet Laureate of England. He is sometimes called Thomas Warton the younger to distinguish him from his father Thomas Warton the elder.
Warton was born in Basingstoke, Hampshire, the son of poet Thomas Warton, the Elder, and younger brother of Joseph Warton. As a youngster, Warton demonstrated ... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
Comments about Thomas Warton Jr.
Ode To Sleep
On this my pensive pillow, gentle Sleep!
Descend, in all thy downy plumage drest:
Wipe with thy wing these eyes that wake to weep,
And place thy crown of poppies on my breast.
O steep my senses in oblivion's balm,
And sooth my throbbing pulse with lenient hand;
This tempest of my boiling blood becalm!
Despair grows mild at thy supreme command.
Yet ah! in vain, familiar with the gloom,
And sadly toiling through the tedious night,
I seek sweet slumber, while that virgin bloom,
For ever hovering, haunts my wretched sight.
Nor would the ...