Vincent Voiture (24 February 1597 – 26 May 1648), French poet, was the son of a rich merchant of Amiens. He was introduced by a schoolfellow, the count Claude d'Avaux, to Gaston, Duke of Orléans, and accompanied him to Brussels and Lorraine on diplomatic missions.
Although a follower of Gaston, he won the favour of Cardinal Richelieu, and was one of the earliest members of the Académie française. He also received appointments and pensions from Louis XIII and Anne of Austria.
He published nothing in book form, but his verses and his prose letters were the delight of the coteries, and were copied, handed about and admired more perhaps than the work of any contemporary. He... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
- Ma foi, c'est fait de moi...
- Belles fleurs, dont je voy ces jardins e...
- Des portes du matin l'Amante de Céphale
- Je me meurs tous les jours en adorant Sy...
- Ce soir que vous ayant seulette rencontr...
- Nostre Aurore vermeille
- Ou vous sçavez tromper bien finemen
- À une Demoiselle qui avait les manches
- D'un buveur d'eau, comme avez débattu
- Mon âme, à Dieu, quoi que le coeur m'en ...
- L'Amour sous sa loy
- J'avois de l'Amour pour vous
Comments about Vincent Voiture
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)