Alfonso X El Sabio
Alfonso X El Sabio Poems
- Cantiga De Santa Maria, No. 18... Pero que seja a gente ...
- Rose Of Roses And Flower Of Fl... 1. Rose of beauty and ...
- The Treasury THE strange intelligence then reached my ears ...
- Cantiga De Santa Maria No. 194 Just as the name of the Virgin...
- Cantiga No. 60, Ca Eva nos tolleu Parays'e Deus Ave nos y...
- Cantiga De Santa Maria, No. 10... Portugease Santa Maria,
- Cantiga De Escarnio: O que foi passar a serra e non quis ...
Alfonso X, El Sabio, or the learned, (1221-1284, reigned 1252-1284), king of Castile and León, is perhaps the most interesting, though far from the most capable, of the Spanish kings of the Middle Ages.
He was a writer, and he had considerable scientific fame, based mainly on his encouragement of astronomy and the Ptolemaic cosmogony as known to him through the Arabs.
As a ruler he showed legislative capacity, and a very commendable wish to provide his kingdoms with a code of laws and a consistent judicial system. The Fuero Real was undoubtedly his work, and he began the code called the Siete Partidas, which, however, was only promulgated by his great-grandson. He ... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
Comments about Alfonso X El Sabio
Cantiga De Santa Maria, No. 181
Pero que seja a gente
d'outra lei [e] descreuda,
os que a Virgen mais aman,
a esses ela ajuda.
Fremosa miragre desto
fez a Virgen groriosa
na cidade de Marrocos,
que é mui gran' e fremosa,
a un rei que era ende
sennor, que perigoosa
guerra con outro avia,
per que gran mester ajuda.
Avia de quen lla désse:
ca assi corn' el cercado
jazia dentr' en Marrocos
ca o outro ja passado
era per un grande rio
que Morabe é chamado
con muitos de cavaleiros
e mui gran gente miuda.
E corrian pelas portas
da vila, e...