Amelia Opie (12 November 1769 – 2 December 1853 / Norwich)
Amelia Alderson was the daughter of James Alderson, a physician, and Amelia Briggs of Norwich, England. She was a cousin of notable judge Edward Hall Alderson, with whom she corresponded throughout her life, and also a cousin of notable artist Henry Perronet Briggs.
Miss Alderson had inherited radical principles and was an ardent admirer of John Horne Tooke. She was close to activists John Philip Kemble, Sarah Siddons, William Godwin and Mary Wollstonecraft.
Marriage and family
In 1798 Alderson married John Opie, the painter. The nine years of her married life before her husband's death were happy, although her husband did not share her love of ... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
- Julia, or the Convent of St. Claire
- Lines on the Opening of a Spring Campaig...
- Lines On The Place De La Concorde At Par...
- Lines Written At Norwich On The First Ne...
- Lines Written in 1799.
- Love Elegy, to Henry
- Love Elegy, to Laura
- Ode On The Present Times, 27th January 1...
- Ode to Borrowdale
- Ode, Written On The Opening Of The Last ...
- On Hearing that Constantinople Was Swall...
- On the Approach of Autumn
- On the Place de la Concorde
Comments about Amelia Opie
HIV Vaccine Awareness Day
observed annually on May 18
International Museum Day
memory + creativity = social change
Happy Birthday Omar Khayyam!
(1048-1131) Persian mathematician, poet, and philosopher
Happy Birthday Friedrich Rückert!
(1788-1866) German poet, translator, and professor of Oriental languages.