I am wearing away like the snow in the sun,
I am wearing away from the pain in my heart;
But ne'er shall he know, who my peace has undone,
How bitter, how lasting, how deep is my smart.
I know he would pity-so kind is his soul,
To him my affliction would agony be;
But never, while I can my feelings control,
The youth whom I love shall know sorrow through me.
Though longing to weep, in his presence I'll smile,
Call the flush of my cheek the pure crimson of health;
His fears for my peace by my song I'll beguile,
Nor venture to gaze on his eyes but by stealth.
For conscious I am, by my glance is exprest
The passion that faithful as hopeless will be,
And he, whom, alas! I can ne'er render blest,
Shall never, no never, know sorrow through me.
Amelia Opie's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Song. by Amelia Opie )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- True Friends Forever Remain, Rohit Sapra
- Destiny's Table Of Contents, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Another Time, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Interior Places, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Carefree Memories, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Some fish I'd like to mention, Richard Lee
- Quiet Loving Reason, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- dim witch, lee fones
- Starlight And Sunrises, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- दिनैनि अलखद समाव, Ronjoy Brahma