Edward Taylor Poems
- Prologue From Preparatory Medi...
- I Am The Living Bread: Meditat...
- Upon A Wasp Chilled With Cold The bear that breathes the ...
- Huswifery Make me, O Lord, Thy spinning-wheel complete. Thy ...
- Ebb And Flow When first Thou on me, Lord, wroughtest Thy ...
- Upon A Spider Catching A Fly Thou sorrow, venom Elfe: Is ...
- Preparatory Meditations - Seco...
Edward Taylor was born in Leicestershire, England in 1642. He originally worked as a school teacher, but later left England for the United States. He studied divinity at Harvard and then became a minister in Massachusetts.
The son of a non-Conformist yeoman farmer, Taylor was born in 1642 at Sketchley, Leicestershire, England. Following restoration of the monarchy ... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
Comments about Edward Taylor
Prologue From Preparatory Meditations Before My Approach To The Lord's Supper
Lord, can a crumb of dust the earth outweigh,
Outmatch all mountains, nay the crystal sky?
Imbosom in't designs that shall display
And trace into the boundless deity?
Yea, hand a pen whose moisture doth gild o'er
Eternal glory with a glorious glore.
If it is pen had of an angel's quill,
And sharpened on a precious stone ground tight,
And dipped in liquid gold, and moved by skill
In crystal leaves should golden letters write,
It would but blot and blur, yea, jag and jar,
Unless Thou mak'st the pen and scribener.
I am this crumb of dust which is ...