Preparatory Meditations - First Series: 1
What love is this of Thine that cannot be
In Thine infinity, O Lord, confined,
Unless it in Thy very person see
Infinity and finity conjoined?
What hath Thy godhead, as not satisfied,
Married our manhood, making it its bride?
Oh matchless love! Filling heaven to the brim!
O'errunning it: all running o'er beside
This world! Nay, overflowing hell; wherein
For Thine elect there rose a mighty tide!
That there our veins might through Thy person bleed,
To quench those flames that else would on us feed.
Oh! that Thy love might overflow my heart!
To fire the same with love: for love I would.
But oh! my straitened breast! my lifeless spark!
My fireless flame! What chilly love, and cold?
In measure small! In manner chilly! See.
Lord, blow the coal: Thy love enflame in me.
Edward Taylor's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Preparatory Meditations - First Series: 1 by Edward Taylor )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
A Dream Within A Dream
Edgar Allan Poe
- What is there in the sky, gajanan mishra
- I bow down, hasmukh amathalal
- Not Too Fair I See, Lauren B Called
- Words of Love, Lauren B Called
- Pain, Lauren B Called
- Because We're All in this Together, Lauren B Called
- AMONG THE GOOD PEOPLE, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- I miss you, Billie Jessie
- Hard Morning, Michael McParland
- I am singing, gajanan mishra