Gieve Patel Poems
- On Killing A Tree It takes much time to kill a tree, Not a...
- Old Man's Death There may be a very small comfort In knowing...
- Public Hospital ow soon I've acquired it all! It would seem ...
- Forensic Medicine A case in point, the expert says; A woman ...
- From Bombay Central The Saurashtra Express waits to ...
- Squirrels In Washington Squirrels in Washington ...
- Urban the old crone slurping up essence of chicken soup
Gieve Patel is a poet, playwright and artist, as well as a practicing doctor.
Early Life and Education
Gieve Patel was born in 1940 in Mumbai. He was educated at St Xavier's High School and Grant Medical College. He lives in Mumbai where he is a general practitioner.
His poetry works include Poems than first launched by Nissim Ezekiel followed by How Do You Withstand, Body and Mirrored Mirroring. His plays include Princes, Savaksa and Mr Behram .
He held his first show in Mumbai in 1966 that went on to have several major exhibitions in India and abroad. Patel participated in the Menton Biemale, France in 1976. India, Myth and ... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
On Killing A Tree
It takes much time to kill a tree,
Not a simple jab of the knife
Will do it. It has grown
Slowly consuming the earth,
Rising out of it, feeding
Upon its crust, absorbing
Years of sunlight, air, water,
And out of its leperous hide
So hack and chop
But this alone wont do it.
Not so much pain will do it.
The bleeding bark will heal
And from close to the ground
Will rise curled green twigs,
Which if unchecked will expand again
To former size.
The root is to be pulled out -
Out of the...