Henry King (16 January 1592 – 30 September 1669 / Worminghall, Buckinghamshire)
Henry King was an English poet and bishop.
The eldest son of John King, Bishop of London, and his wife Joan Freeman, he was baptised at Worminghall, Buckinghamshire, 16 January 1592. He was educated at Lord Williams's School, Westminster School and in 1608 became a student of Christ Church, Oxford. With his brother John King he matriculated 20 January 1609, and was admitted (19 June 1611 and 7 July 1614) to the degrees of bachelor and master of arts. On 24 January 1616 he was collated to the prebend of St. Pancras in St. Paul's Cathedral, receiving at the same time the office of penitentiary or confessor in the cathedral, together with the rectory and ... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
- A Contemplation upon Flowers
- A Penitential Hymne
- A Renunciation
- A salutation of his Majesties Ship the S...
- An Acknowledgment
- AN ELEGY Occasioned by the losse of the ...
- AN ELEGY Upon Mrs. Kirk unfortunately dr...
- AN ELEGY Upon my Best Friend L. K. C.
- AN ELEGY Upon S. W. R.
- AN ELEGY Upon the death of Mr. Edward Ho...
- AN ELEGY Upon the immature loss of the m...
- AN ELEGY Upon the L. Bishop of London Jo...
- AN ELEGY Upon the most Incomparable K. C...
- AN ELEGY Upon the most victorious King o...
Comments about Henry King
HIV Vaccine Awareness Day
observed annually on May 18
International Museum Day
memory + creativity = social change
Happy Birthday Omar Khayyam!
(1048-1131) Persian mathematician, poet, and philosopher
Happy Birthday Friedrich Rückert!
(1788-1866) German poet, translator, and professor of Oriental languages.