Jimmy Santiago Baca
Jimmy Santiago Baca Poems
- I Am Offering This Poem I am offering this poem to ...
- Who Understands Me But Me They turn the water off, so I live ...
- Like An Animal Behind the smooth texture Of my eyes, way ...
- Green Chile I prefer red chile over my eggs and potatoes for...
- A Daily Joy To Be Alive No matter how serene things may be ...
- As Life Was Five Portate bien, behave yourself you always ...
- Oppression Is a question of strength, of unshed tears, of ...
Jimmy Santiago Baca is an American Poet and writer.
Life and Career
Jimmy Santiago Baca was born in Santa Fe County, New Mexico, in 1952. Abandoned by his parents at the age of two, he lived with one of his grandmothers for several years before being placed in an orphanage. He wound up living on the streets, and at the age of twenty-one he was convicted on charges of drug possession and incarcerated. He served six and a half years in prison, three of them in isolation, and having expressed a desire to go to school (the guards considered this dangerous), he was for a time put in the same area of the prison with the inmates on death row before he was ... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
I Am Offering This Poem
I am offering this poem to you,
since I have nothing else to give.
Keep it like a warm coat,
when winter comes to cover you,
or like a pair of thick socks
the cold cannot bite through,
I love you,
I have nothing else to give you,
so it is a pot full of yellow corn
to warm your belly in the winter,
it is a scarf for your head, to wear
over your hair, to tie up around your face,
I love you,
Keep it, treasure it as you would
if you were lost, needing direction,
in the wilderness life becomes when mature;
and in the corner of your ...