Jimmy Santiago Baca
The Day Brushes It's Curtains Aside
to a dark stage.
I lie there awake in my prison bunk,
in the eye-catching silence
of prison night.
I study the moon out my grilled window.
I figure this and that,
not out, just figure, figuring more,
the inner I go, through illimitable tunnels,
roaring great, myself back back back.
I lie still, listening to water drops
clink and pap pap pap
in the shower stall next to my cell.
In that airy place we call the heart,
I move like a magician
in the colorful stage lights of my moods,
my bright dreams, and blue light
circles a tear on my cheek, and lips with her name.
>From flowers in my hands
her face appears. In cards
she is the queen. These are tricks
and I am the magician.
Tomorrow morning I will crawl out of bed
knowing I cannot escape the chains
they've wrapped around me.
I will crawl out of bed tomorrow,
as though I had stepped out of a box
on stage. It was no illusion,
when the sword plunged into the box,
I smiled at the crowd,
as it went deeper and deeper into my heart.
Jimmy Santiago Baca's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Day Brushes It's Curtains Aside by Jimmy Santiago Baca )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- Life...Please Come In, Kanwaljit Bhullar
- Sweet Home, Tony Adah
- Hello, man!, Pranab K. Chakraborty
- Passage beyond, Pranab K. Chakraborty
- In search of singularity, Pranab K. Chakraborty
- I am real, gajanan mishra
- God-Love The Great Sugar Cube, Monk E. Biz
- Guiding Through Turmoil, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Cosmic luvgasmacomastoned! ! ! ! ! ! ! !.., Monk E. Biz
- Love, love, love, gajanan mishra