Martin O'Neill Poems
- What Price Literacy? An extraordinary time you have ...
- A Pillar Of The Community? Three hundred and twenty years in ...
- Here Be Tygers. The wind circles round, laughing As she ...
- Pheromonal Bloke Average blokes wonder what my secret is I'm...
- Eileen? Dust motes float, trapped. Suspended in the timeless...
- Half Past A Headache Uncork the bottle and pour me a drink A...
- Fish Supper In Black And White I feel I ought to explain that...
Engineer, thinker, observer.
I get taken by surprise sometimes by a thought, a phrase or something someone says and my mind goes for a walk. Sometimes an object triggers a veritable gold rush of words that scatter and run around my head as I try to catch them. This is when I curse not having pen and paper at all times. It can also can be a problem when driving!
I love seeing and ... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
What Price Literacy?
An extraordinary time you have waited
Quiet, in no kind of rush
You must be pleased now that it's over
Your time in the African bush
The grass stalks that rippled around you
The animals passing you by
The fierce yellow sun beating down
From the blue of your African sky.
When you finally burst into flower,
In blossoms of yellow and red
The eight year old girl who unearthed you
Couldn't read the notice that said