#25 (Thyagaraja) Musicians Admired the Saint
Musicians around the country
Heard the growing popularity
Of the great Saint Thyagaraja,
O’er his devotion to Lord Rama.
They all came one by one,
To the Tiruvaiyar Town
Heard his music, in turn,
Gave him their appreciation.
Gopinatha Bhattacharya from Kasi,
A musician famous in Hindustani,
He came all the way to meet
And hear the songs of the Saint.
Pleased with his request,
A song came out
From the Saint then
A pleasant melodious one.
(He sang in Raga Thodi
Dasaradhi Nee Runamu Theerpa Naa
Tharama Parama Pavana Nama)
“Oh the great Dasaradha’s son,
How can I repay your loan?
Oh Master of my listeners,
For whom my music shines.”
“To me, you only taught,
Both day and night,
All the songs, more divine,
For the pleasure of my fans.”
Thus, it was his humbleness,
That brought him greatness.
Besides the melody part
Of each song that came out.
A Saint who loved music,
Who lived always for music,
Whose very breath was music
Gave an eternal life to his music.
Rajaram Ramachandran's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (#25 (Thyagaraja) Musicians Admired the Saint by Rajaram Ramachandran )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- The Fraud Scholar & The Ragged Ph.D. Gui.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Shadow & Raven Haiku, Chenou Liu
- I Will Bake a Cake, Chris Zachariou
- Frosted Torrents, Mishka Allport
- Opinion Vs Opinion, Kyle Schlicher
- Sunlight Crawling, Kyle Schlicher
- Experiment with Flute!, Geetha Jayakumar
- A Ponzi Poem, Kyle Schlicher
- There Are No Noncombatants, Lawrence Beck
- THE HOSTAGE, Satish Verma