781. Good Books – Entrance to trance!
Comics full of graphic pages
Would drag to different ages,
Of wonderful worlds wild,
When I was mere a child!
I started Mahabharata after twelve,
Even at forty I’m unable to delve!
Its enormity and depth of wisdom,
Is understood by anyone seldom!
The heart touching love story
For epochs sustaining its glory
The Ramayana came to me too
Giving every time a valve new!
Thirukural by-hearted in school
Now helping me to swim life-pool
As a mentor always ready
Sitting in book-shelf steady
Kalki’s novels kept me awake
Lively characters that would make
Cherishing memories of teenage
Reading constantly page by page!
When endless query like
‘Who am I? ’ sometimes strike
Bhagavad-Gita will rescue
Helping mind to renew!
Vivekananda’s volumes fell in my hand
Comics and novels could not withstand!
Trivial books bid good-bye silently
Like autumn leaves dropping out softly
Through Naren’s wise window
I could see RK the mystic rainbow
Perfect mixer of all religions
Stirring the hearts of millions!
Western books too influenced a lot
As potters spin clay into pretty pot
Epictetus, Emerson, Thoreau, Allen
Helped to reform my heart broken!
From middle-east came Gibran
Only one line struck my life-span
‘Work is Love made visible’
To fortify me who was once feeble!
Realizing, most of authors of West
Draw their insight simply from East,
Now I stick just to Indian Books
They are enough for all outlooks!
Do you really want to checkup
Your heart’s receptive setup?
Do read Tamil devotional.
Must you get tears emotional!
Thiruvaachagam cleansing the soul
Hundred times more powerful than
Tagore’s Gitanjali, would accompany
My life-voyage giving me company!
If you fall upon Ramana’s words once,
To which other book would you bounce?
If you come upon Amma like living sage
Won’t all books get down from stage?
Meditation will lead to inner silence
Books will take to entrance of trance
For, nevertheless, the books by saints
Are their meditations, cleaning stains! 030409
Raman Savithiri's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (781. Good Books – Entrance to trance! by Raman Savithiri )
- Life, Soul Watcher
- Song of Myself, LII, Walt Whitman
- Bharatheeyakavitha-3, dr.k.g.balakrishnan kandangath
- Childhood is the Kingdom Where Nobody Dies, Edna St. Vincent Millay
- Gone From My Sight, Henry Van Dyke
- When I Die, Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
- A LONG NIGHT, Satish Verma
- Ideals And Ethical Dreams, Margaret Alice Second
- Inner Peace, Leong Ming Loong
- God! ! man, SALINI NAIR
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Mid-Term Break, Seamus Heaney
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Tiger, William Blake
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- The British, Benjamin Zephaniah
- "Hope" is the thing with feathers, Emily Dickinson
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)