Dora Sigerson Shorter
A Bird From The West
At the grey dawn, amongst the falling leaves,
A little bird outside my window swung,
High on a topmost branch he trilled his song,
And ' Ireland! Ireland! Ireland!' ever sung.
“Take me,' I cried, 'back to my island home;
Sweet bird, my soul shall ride between thy wings ';
For my lone spirit wide his pinions spread, '
And home and home and home he ever sings.
We lingered over Ulster stern and wild.
I called: ' Arise! doth none remember me ?'
One turned in the darkness murmuring:
“How loud upon the breakers sobs the sea!'
We rested over Connaught—whispering said:
“Awake, awake, and welcome! I am here.'
One woke and shivered at the morning grey:
“The trees, I never heard them sigh so drear.'
We flew low over Munster. Long I wept:
“You used to love me, love me once again!'
They spoke from out the shadows wondering: ^
M You'd think of tears, so bitter falls the rain.' !|
Long over Leinster lingered we. ' Good-bye!
My best beloved, good-bye for evermore.' v^
Sleepless they tossed and whispered to the dawn;
“So sad a wind was never heard before.'
Was it a dream I dreamt ? For yet there swings
In the grey morn a bird upon the bough,
And ' Ireland! Ireland! Ireland!' ever sings.
Oh! fair the breaking day in Ireland now.
Dora Sigerson Shorter's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Bird From The West by Dora Sigerson Shorter )
- Picking At Sores, Kyle Schlicher
- Crazy, Dipankar Sadhukhan
- National Festival, Asit Kumar Sanyal
- I Must Make Preparations, Kyle Schlicher
- Aftermath…, LALITHA JOSEPH
- THE FUNERAL RAM, john chizoba vincent
- I Am Tired Before My Time, Kyle Schlicher
- If I Could, Michael McParland
- The Running Wheel Of Love, Bazi alis Subrata Ray
- Meaningless, timeless...., refilwe ranape
Poem of the Day
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- A Drinking Song, William Butler Yeats
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
- Heather Burns
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)