A Brown Butterfly
Brown wings with dark spots and dark freckles a short life it only enjoy
Four days to it will be a long span such is the life of a brown butterfly
But is our life to it that much different since the Reaper awaits you and I
We come to life inside a woman we are born and we age and we die.
A butterfly grows from an ugly caterpillar into such a beautiful thing
And it flies around trees in the sunlight where wildborn birds whistle and sing
In a few days 'twill return to Nature and amongst Nature's bosom it's tiny remains will decay
All things of life born with a time span whether it be for a century or a day.
Such beauty to captivate an artist or to inspire a poet for to rhyme
A brown butterfly in the garden on a sunlit day in Summer time
It dies in it's full bloom of beauty it's wings don't grow withered and gray
It mates and lay eggs in it's short life and it lives and dies by Nature's way.
A brown butterfly in the garden the birds pipe on the sunlit trees
On a beautiful day in the Summer with a cool freshness in the mild breeze
Such moments give us years of pleasure and in years from now I will retain
The memory of this great beauty that until death with me will remain.
Francis Duggan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Brown Butterfly by Francis Duggan )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- The CPI(M) Should Not Talk of Himan Rig.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Rain Cries Zeiden, Ghost Kitty
- Walk with a child, gajanan mishra
- leave something for reason, Manonton Dalan
- Dear Life! I'm not mad at you, Piyush Dey
- give me love in a ditch, as long as it's.., Mandolyn ...
- Haiku: 'Schrodinger's Cat' pontificates .., Brian Johnston
- Child - symbol of, gajanan mishra
- नोँ दागाबसै आयै, Bahadur Basumatary
- Eyes speak, hasmukh amathalal