A Call For Help For Garibaldi
Canadian freemen, one and all,
Respond to Garibaldi's call,
And help him now to speed the fall
Of fair Italia's foes.
Our God this year abundance sends,
Oh, spend it not for selfish ends,
But give to him who RIGHT defends,
And strives to heal her woes.
See him as he unselfish stands,
Surrounded by his patriot bands-
The admiration of all lands-
Wave Freedom's banner high.
He moves-acclaiming thousands wait
To open wide each city gate.
And trust to him their future fate-
Assured redemption's nigh.
Whole-souled and brave as man can be,
He fights alone for Liberty;
Nor will he rest till Italy
Shake off her tyrants' chains.
This done he seeks not high estate;
Success does not his soul elate;
In lowliness he can be great,
For meanness he disdains.
Can we to such a one deny
Assistance? when to do or die
He passes outward splendors by
In singleness of heart?
Forbid it, ye of British blood!
Forbid it all who seek for good.
Rise! show that you have understood
An honest freeman's part!
Let not this noble Patriot's fate
Be such as was Kossuth's the Great.
May their magnific deeds create
A glow of sympathy
Which shall increase till every chain
Enslaving man be snapped in twain,
And universal Freedom reign
In glorious majesty.
Thomas Cowherd's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Call For Help For Garibaldi by Thomas Cowherd )
- Democracies All Must Fail, Is It Poetry
- Conviction's Diatribe, michael walkerjohn
- Think right, hasmukh amathalal
- BYE! BYE! ! BYE! ! ! EBOLA! ! !, G. AKANJI OLANIYI
- The Occident's Secession, michael walkerjohn
- One's Mind, michael walkerjohn
- Mind's Refuse, michael walkerjohn
- 6 is truly 9, michael walkerjohn
- Flowers!, rajendran muthiah
- Never feel alone, hasmukh amathalal
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
Percy Bysshe Shelley