IN days of ancient history
Who were you? Tell me if you know.
Between your kisses answer me
Were you a faun by Castaly
Tracking Urania or Clio?
Or a white boy in Arcady
Were you a satin-supple page
Swinging a curtain to and fro,
Chanting some impudent addage
Of love, Chicot?
Were you the subtlest cardinal
That ever blessing did bestow?
At Fontarabia did you fall,
Or at some monarch' table set,
Did the bells twink at wrist and toe?
Were you Brusquet or Dagonet,
Or else, Chicot?
Something you were of all of these,
Wise, gay, serene--that hid below,
More sad for all your subtleties,
You brace your armor well tonight,--
Too well for any blood to flow;
You'd not betray in any fight
A wound, Chicot!
I think you would not flinch beneath
Life's whips, but after every blow
Stand up again, and set your teeth
And smile, Chicot.
Weariness waits on wariness,
There's leaping flame beneath the snow--
All sorts of things that none would guess
Of you, Chicot!
Are you a lover? No and yes!
Are you a comrade? Yes and no!
What are you? Neither more nor less
Than just Chicot!
Take what a passing poet sings
Before to-morrow bids us go,
In memory of--many things,
And you, Chicot!
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Chicot by Muriel Stuart )
- Forgiveness, Tiger Lily
- Stature, Nassy Fesharaki
- Twinkle twinkle little star - 6, ramesh rai
- Man Overboard, Tiffany Alexis
- The World Is Confounded, Tony Adah
- Twinkle twinkle little star - 5, ramesh rai
- Lost At Sea, Margaret Alice Second
- 17 Year Engagement, Saiom Shriver
- Beauty, Nishi Kumari
- The World, Tony Adah
Poem of the Day
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
- Heather Burns
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)