A Contemporary World
A crowd of people were staring
At the cold dead body
That was lying in the street.
Cops and cars, cars and cops,
Cops and cars and more cars and cops
Were all over.
And the light from the police cars
That was blinking
Made the scene look like
some kind of bistro.
He was so young,
the dead man on the floor
And I thought life was too short for him,
To die at this age.
I'd no idea where he lived,
no idea what he did
But something in his face
Seemed innocent and saintlike.
A question formed in my mind
And I shot it to the crowd,
saying 'Why? '
'Why did they shoot him? '
But no one answered,
They just stared at me
And turned their faces back to the dead body.
Their look was so scary.
'Maybe they think the world
Is a better place, '
An old woman said,
Arsiema Berhane's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Contemporary World by Arsiema Berhane )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- January’s Sad Refrain, Teresa Dearing
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
Poem of the Day
- A Man Of Different Charectarestics, Musa Ndhlovu
- Ever Hike in Hope, Pintu Mahakul
- The Past, Eugene Latumbo
- Lovely Hand, Pintu Mahakul
- There you are, Cee Bea
- Memories:, Gaurav Pandey
- Loneliness, Col Muhamad Khalid Khan
- Christmas Tree, Zoila T. Flores
- I Did Not Ask Him, But Said He, I Am A M.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- An Umbrella, Col Muhamad Khalid Khan