A Day Out
Bare feet! On the beach
Sand between your toes
Tide out. Almost out of reach
Air full of laughter of happy children’s souls.
Race to the shore line
Trousers turned up
Sun and heat, it’s fine
Cold water over toes, lapping.
K’s in the water, splashing.
Falls over, soaked! Squeals
Back on his feet, reels.
Back up the sands
Past the tethered donkeys
Down in a thump we land
Eating sand covered sarnie’s
Up top, into the fair
His eyes wide at the magic
Seeing the rides, wondering if he dares
Colours bright, he trips the light. Fantastic.
Mini roller coaster he rides,
Fast, up and down
He cannot hide his smiles
Ride stops, not a frown.
Onto the next, in a plane
Flying high as his imagination takes him
On a horses back, gripping its mane
Children’s voices, like a song to sing.
Day is over, he’s not slowing
Bampi is flagging
No sign of lagging.
His smile has been contagious
Shinning brighter than the sun
The day is done.
Robert Green's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (A Day Out by Robert Green )
- True Poetry Is Like A Rose, Denis Martindale
- Lovely butterflies Fly by, See I, Harindhar Reddy
- Believe and trust, hasmukh amathalal
- The Dumb Honest Judges, julius lenjatin
- Alluring Beauty with Thorns (A Lovely Ro.., Harindhar Reddy
- Stars Studded the Sky (cinquain), Harindhar Reddy
- Waltz of a Dream, Nathalie Handal
- La Movida, Nathalie Handal
- Scary and Nightmarey Ghost Walked, Harindhar Reddy
- I give You the Love of Calla-lily, Harindhar Reddy
Poem of the Day
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
- Heather Burns
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
Andrew Barton Paterson
(17 February 1864 – 5 February 1941)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)