A Democratic Hymn
Republicans of differing views
Are pro or con protection;
If that's the issue they would choose,
Why, we have no objection.
The issue we propose concerns
Our hearts and homes more nearly:
A wife to whom the nation turns
And venerates so dearly.
So, confident of what shall be,
Our gallant host advances,
Giving three cheers for Grover C.
And three times three for Frances!
So gentle is that honored dame,
And fair beyond all telling,
The very mention of her name
Sets every breast to swelling.
She wears no mortal crown of gold--
No courtiers fawn around her--
But with their love young hearts and old
In loyalty have crowned her--
And so with Grover and his bride
We're proud to take our chances,
And it's three times three for the twain give we--
But particularly for Frances!
Eugene Field's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Democratic Hymn by Eugene Field )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Ella Wheeler Wilcox
(5 November 1850 - 30 October 1919)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- To an Athlete Dying Young, Alfred Edward Housman
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- A Song About Myself, John Keats
- Death is Nothing at All, Henry Scott Holland
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Bright Star, John Keats
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- "Why do I love" You, Sir?, Emily Dickinson
Poem of the Day
- The Escapist, Jaipal Singh
- GOD LISTENS AND SPEAKS, Michael P. Johnson
- A Journey By Indian Train, Bijay Kant Dubey
- They die before you do., Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Witch Romance, Alexander Onoja
- The safe ground, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Old age gripping, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Your Warmth 2, Michael P. McParland
- The Zulu King, Margaret Alice Second
- I Love Life, Alfred Oyori