A Few Minutes To Spare
Sometimes when I am out
someone will stop and talk to me
hoping I can spare
a few minutes of my time.
They tell me their life story,
how long they were married,
where they were wed,
how many children that they have
and where they are all gone,
mainly to different countries
so very far away.
You know by that
they are lonely
with no one to pass the time of day
except to talk to strangers
hoping they can spare a few minutes
of their time to talk to someone lonely
within their busy day.
It does not cost any money
to listen once and a while
to a lonely stranger
who needs to feel someone cares.
I stop whenever I can
because I would like to think
someone would do it for me
if I were in the same position.
10 October 2009
This poem was inspired by and elderly lady I took the time to talk to while I was in Stratford earlier this year. I spared her those few minutes and cheered her up a bit.
David Harris's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Few Minutes To Spare by David Harris )
Did you read them?
- From my hearts core, Aftab Alam
- Racism, John Masaitis
- Flooding In Kaschmir, Leslie Philibert
- Wild mentality, hasmukh amathalal
- Like A River, Edward Kofi Louis
- National University, Edward Kofi Louis
- May We All Find What We're Looking For S.., Daniel Karbon
- Your love has made me wild and mad, Mazid S Kazi , INDIA
- Tree of life, Veronica Centeno
- Gil Scott Heron, Daniel Karbon
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- At Last She Comes, Robert Louis Stevenson
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
- Heather Burns
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)