A Few Minutes To Spare
Sometimes when I am out
someone will stop and talk to me
hoping I can spare
a few minutes of my time.
They tell me their life story,
how long they were married,
where they were wed,
how many children that they have
and where they are all gone,
mainly to different countries
so very far away.
You know by that
they are lonely
with no one to pass the time of day
except to talk to strangers
hoping they can spare a few minutes
of their time to talk to someone lonely
within their busy day.
It does not cost any money
to listen once and a while
to a lonely stranger
who needs to feel someone cares.
I stop whenever I can
because I would like to think
someone would do it for me
if I were in the same position.
10 October 2009
This poem was inspired by and elderly lady I took the time to talk to while I was in Stratford earlier this year. I spared her those few minutes and cheered her up a bit.
David Harris's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Few Minutes To Spare by David Harris )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
William Ernest Henley
Did you read them?
- -, سميح القاسم
- تقدموا, سميح القاسم
- Fearless, Omar Eldamsheety
- Unintentional Existence: Repository Citr.., Onyekachukwu Vincent Onyeche
- Friendzone (Rap song), Clint Kingham
- The Marché Aux Puces And The Jardin Des .., William Daryl Hine
- The Lake, William Daryl Hine
- The Copper Beech, William Daryl Hine
- On This Rock, William Daryl Hine
- Last Words, William Daryl Hine