A Figure Clad In Silver Shawl
I see the figure clad in silver shawl
holding the withered rose in the hand,
the Venetian mask
covers his gaze from ordinary viewers...
The lazy darkness
the coals instead of eyes.
And the sunset
sparkles in the hair of Montmartre...
The shadows lurk in the alleys,
on the boulevards and squares...
On the pavement under our feet
the shadows creep upon shadows...
The gargoyles above us
hear our entangled heartbeats,
the heartbeats of the Unfree -
under the masks, under the cloaks,
and blind are those who cannot see...
and silently wait
in the shade,
that the figure in mask
clad in silver shawl
might turn out to be you or me...
Zhulduz Baizakova's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Figure Clad In Silver Shawl by Zhulduz Baizakova )
- Happy Writer, Cynthia BuhainBaello
- هذا وربك مثوى كل إنسان, خليل مردم بك
- Scars Never Heal, Cynthia BuhainBaello
- Closed Doors, Omar Eldamsheety
- The Only Key, Cynthia BuhainBaello
- A cry from a child, Zintle Groepe
- Hope Again., Tracee Olga
- If, Zintle Groepe
- Look at eyes! ! !, SALINI NAIR
- I'll Be Leaving, Michael McParland
Poem of the Day
- 1861, Walt Whitman
- On the Ning Nang Nong, Spike Milligan
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Lob, Edward Thomas
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Robert William Service
(16 January 1874 - 11 September 1958)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
John Greenleaf Whittier
(17 December 1807 – 7 September 1892)
George Gordon Byron
(22 January 1788 – 19 April 1824)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)