A Hole In The Floor
for Rene Magritte
The carpenter's made a hole
In the parlor floor, and I'm standing
Staring down into it now
At four o'clock in the evening,
As Schliemann stood when his shovel
Knocked on the crowns of Troy.
A clean-cut sawdust sparkles
On the grey, shaggy laths,
And here is a cluster of shavings
>From the time when the floor was laid.
They are silvery-gold, the color
Of Hesperian apple-parings.
Kneeling, I look in under
Where the joists go into hiding.
A pure street, faintly littered
With bits and strokes of light,
Enters the long darkness
Where its parallels will meet.
Rises in middle distance
Like a shuttered kiosk, standing
Where the only news is night.
Here's it's not painted green,
As it is in the visible world.
For God's sake, what am I after?
Some treasure, or tiny garden?
Or that untrodden place,
The house's very soul,
Where time has stored our footbeats
And the long skein of our voices?
Not these, but the buried strangeness
Which nourishes the known:
That spring from which the floor-lamp
Drinks now a wilder bloom,
Inflaming the damask love-seat
And the whole dangerous room.
Submitted by Robert Fish
Richard Wilbur's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Hole In The Floor by Richard Wilbur )
- To Rise Again, Tom Zart
- Clouds of brinkmanship, Oti Egwu
- Heroes, Nassy Fesharaki
- O1O→5959→1049 신규 대전오피, O1Oa5959a1049 O1Oa5959a1049
- 신세계 대전오피 010↔5959↔1049 대전서구오피, O1Oa5959a1049 O1Oa5959a1049
- The Empty Room, Maria Magdalena Biela
- Dream liner, Stephen Brian Brady
- peeping Tom, lee fones
- pension scheme, lee fones
- meri sohbat me........., sanjay kumar maurya
Poem of the Day
- Oh, the places you'll go!, Adens Kamwi
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Warning, Jenny Joseph
- Alone, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)