James Whitcomb Riley
A Home-Made Fairy Tale
Bud, come here to your uncle a spell,
And I'll tell you something you mustn't tell--
For it's a secret and shore-'nuf true,
And maybe I oughtn't to tell it to you--!
But out in the garden, under the shade
Of the apple-trees, where we romped and played
Till the moon was up, and you thought I'd gone
Fast asleep--, That was all put on!
For I was a-watchin' something queer
Goin' on there in the grass, my dear--!
'Way down deep in it, there I see
A little dude-Fairy who winked at me,
And snapped his fingers, and laughed as low
And fine as the whine of a mus-kee-to!
I kept still-- watchin' him closer-- and
I noticed a little guitar in his hand,
Which he leant 'ginst a little dead bee-- and laid
His cigarette down on a clean grass-blade,
And then climbed up on the shell of a snail--
Carefully dusting his swallowtail--
And pulling up, by a waxed web-thread,
This little guitar, you remember. I said!
And there he trinkled and trilled a tune--,
'My Love, so Fair, Tans in the Moon!'
Till presently, out of the clover-top
He seemed to be singing to, came k'pop!
The purtiest, daintiest Fairy face
In all this world, or any place!
Then the little ser'nader waved his hand,
As much as to say, 'We'll excuse you!' and
I heard, as I squinted my eyelids to,
A kiss like the drip of a drop of dew!
James Whitcomb Riley's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Home-Made Fairy Tale by James Whitcomb Riley )
Did you read them?
- Moisture, Chideraza Lowell
- Bharatheeyakavitha, dr.k.g.balakrishnan kandangath
- Not A Sound, Tango Tango
- - People? - (Haiku), Joe Muschaweck
- 男人赋, qin xing
- Genetic Predisposition Towords Violence, Is It Poetry
- Wild Is The Churning Of The Winds, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Honesty, Nassy Fesharaki
- Do Not Be Serious, Kumarmani Mahakul
- 24/7, Lawrence S. Pertillar
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- On Turning Ten, Billy Collins
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- A Smile To Remember, Charles Bukowski
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
- Heather Burns
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1886 - 1967)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(22 March 1941 -)