A Mile In My Shoes
How can you judge
without even knowing me?
You do not know what I have been through.
Have you walked in my shoes?
Did you feel every pain I felt?
I dare you to walk a mile in my shoes.
You would not last a day.
You cannot even imagine
the things I have seen and felt.
I have been in this world for 17 years.
13 of those years were filled with pain,
for 8 years my twin brother and I were split up.
16 of those years I did not live with my birth mother.
Walking a mile in my shoes may take a lifetime.
Bouncing from home to home,
fighting with every breath in my body to survive,
jumping from group homes to shelters,
juvie to juvie.
There is a reason why people think I am mean and are afraid of me.
That is cause I am mean and do not trust anybody.
No one knows who I really am.
I hide behind a façade.
I try not to let my past dictate my life,
but thinking about it motivates me to be something someday.
I will prove everyone wrong in the process.
I have always tried to run away from it.
It is time to take my running shoes off,
slow down and take control of my life.
I will become somebody someday
who will change the world or someone's life.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Mile In My Shoes by Kayaeisha Shaw )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(November 1, 1871 – June 5, 1900)
(25 August 1962 -)
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- I Remember, Anne Sexton
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Alone, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- Let the music play on, Harold R Hunt Sr
- A Girl's Proposal, Meenakshi Hariharan
- Man, Katherina Palomo
- Move on, Edward Clapham
- Only the View, David Lewis Paget
- Out-of-body Experience, Colm Keenan
- Burqawali Bibi, Bijay Kant Dubey
- A Gentle Soul, Joseph Narusiewicz
- He Watches over Me, Angela Khristin Brown
- A Modern Girl In The Make-Up, The Face A.., Bijay Kant Dubey